Here is the power point presentation contents of the secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunga, which was presented to 70 + diplomatic missions based in Geneva on 21 January 2014.
Taking forward the National Plan of action to implement the Recommendations' of the Lessons Learn and Reconciliation Commission
IHL & HR ISSUES – PROGRESS
- Commission of Inquiry to investigate alleged abductions or disappearances of persons resident in the North and East.
- Census on deaths/injuries to persons or property damages due to conflictssince1982.
- Inter-Ministerial Working Group continues to verify cases on alleged disappearances submitted by WGEID. Since Jan, 2012
- GoSL has transmitted responses on 842 cases to the Working Group
- Army Courts of Inquiry into (a) allegations with regard to civilian casualties; (b) allegation of summary executions of captured persons.
- Collaboration between GoSL and ICRC on matters relating to alleged disappearances.
Investigation into deaths of 05 students in Trincomalee
- Non Summary Inquiry commenced in Sept, 2013. Evidence of 14 witnesses concluded. Next date of inquiry on March 06, 2014
Investigation into deaths of Aid workers of ACF in Muttur
- Team of prosecutors reviewing material available. Criminal Investigation Department is conducting further investigations.
Access to information on detainees and facilitating NoKs to locate their family members
- Collaboration between GoSL and ICRC on matters relating to remaining 188 detainees, including spot visits.
Rehabilitation of Ex-Combatants:
- Ail 594 LTTE Child Combatants have been rehabilitated and reunited with their families within one year.
- 11,872 ex-combatants have been rehabilitated and reintegrated into society. Only 171 remain in rehabilitation following legal proceedings.
- Access to secondary, tertiary education and vocational and skills training provided.
LAND ISSUES - PROGRESS
- Special Circular issued by the Land Commissioner General to facilitate resolution of land issues in North and East.
- Land release • 20,001 acres of private land and 5,740 acres of state land in the North and East formerly used by the military have been released.
- High Security Zones which prevailed during the conflict period no longer exist. Military cantonments remain in place to ensure national security in identified locations.
- Appointment of 4th Land Commission (Previous Land Commissions in 1926,1935 and 1985)
RESTORATION OF CIVIL ADMINISTRATION
- Civilian administration is now fully restored in the former theatres of conflict.
- Military presence in the Northern Province: Substantial reduction in the area occupied by the security forces.
- Number of security barricades, road blocks and checkpoints in the North and East reduced by 99%.
Military presence in the Northern Province
- Reduced by 30% of its peak levels during conflict.
- Continuous evaluation of the security requirements being made to facilitate further reduction of troops.
RECONCILIATION - PROGRESS
- Implementation of the Trilingual Policy.
- Integration of youth in reconciliation.
- HR education and reconciliation through school curricula and tertiary education.
- Programmes to assist livelihoods, improve social conditions, trauma counselling of war affected
- Recruitment of 665 Rehabilitated LTTE members to the Department of Civil Security.
- Promotion of ethnic and cultural harmony through sports and the arts.
- Hate speech legislation.
RESETTLEMENT - PROGRESS
- Over 96% of the area demined. Currently, only 86 sq km remain to be cleared from a confirmed hazardous area of 2,061sq km.
- 297,000 persons housed at Menik Farm welfare village immediately after the conflict in 2009 are now fully resettled.
- Menik Farm Welfare Village was closed on Sept, 24, 2012.
- Action taken to expedite remaining 7,094 IDP fameless in the North and East. Of this, 5,585 are staying with host families.
- GoSL is taking action to provide durable solutions to protracted IDPs, including Muslim IDPs.
RESTITUTION & COMPENSATORY RELIEF - PROGRESS
- From 2010 to 2012, Rs 392 M has been provided for the payment of compensations.
- Rs 204 M was provided as compensation in 2013.
INSTITUTIONAL STRENGTHENING - PROGRESS
- Elections to the Northern Provincial Council
- Separate Ministry for law and order
- Strengthening of the Official Languages Commission
- Courts are now fully functional in many parts of the Northern Province with the exclusive use of Tamil Language.
- Court houses have been established in areas where the judicial System had been at a standstill.